Minnesota strawberry season opened this week and the berries are begging to be picked. This morning I stopped out to Afton Apple Orchard in Afton, Minnesota and picked 30 pounds of strawberries for freezer jam, pies and fresh eating. The berries are ripe and juicy from the rain we’ve had this year. There’s nothing that says “Hello Summer” like a morning in the berry patch followed by an afternoon in the kitchen making jam.
Here’s a quick video update of my day today and a 3 ingredient recipe for your own strawberry freezer jam:
Strawberry Freezer Jam
4 cups crushed strawberries
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 tablespoons instant pectin – I use Ball RealFruit® Instant Pectin Flex Batch
1. Wash and dry 2 half-pint freezer safe containers with lids.
2. Combine sugar and pectin in a large bowl, mixing thoroughly to ensure no pectin clumps form.
3. Add in the crushed berries and stir for 3 minutes.
4. Ladle into the clean jars, cover and allow to stand 30 minutes.
5. Refrigerate and use within 3 weeks or freeze for up to 1 year.
To find a pick-your own strawberry patch in your area, check out the Minnesota Grown online search for strawberry patches around the state: Strawberry Search